Wednesday, July 2, 2014

DIY All Natural Floor Cleaner


It’s a cleaning day at Casa Jen.  I’ll admit it – these types of days aren’t as common as they should be at my place (who has time for cleaning when there are important things like crafting and baking and other tornado-like-mess-making activities to be done? Plus, since my accident, cleaning is a much bigger pain in the neck... literally...) 

I love the way our place looks after a good polishing, but the harsh chemicals in commercial cleaners were starting to sting my eyes, parch out my hands, and freak me out a little bit, so I hit the web and started searching for an all-natural floor cleaner recipe I could make at home. I experimented with the mix for a while and finally came up with my go-to blend of grime-fighting perfection!

Look at those floors! Spotless, I tell you! Your nitpicky mother-in-law would even eat off of those babies!


I have to say, this stuff RULES. It makes my floors shine like nothing else and leaves the whole house smelling fresh and clean. There is a bit of a vinegar smell at first, but it mellows out after a few minutes, especially if you use some good essential oils! I am a huge fan of lavender so that’s my favourite one to use, but I’ve also had good luck with orange and tea tree essential oil mixed together. Go nuts and develop your own signature concoction!

The peppermint tea in this is the real star, so don’t skip out on it! The tannic acid in the tea cuts through grease and grime and the mild antibacterial quality of the peppermint gives the mixture extra cleaning power.




Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 peppermint teabags
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • ¼ cup rubbing alcohol
  • ½ tsp dish soap
  • 5 drops essential oil (lavender, orange, tea tree, etc.)
  • Fine-mist spray bottle

Instructions
  • Combine 1 cup boiling water with two peppermint tea bags and let steep at least 10 minutes. Remove teabags and discard.
  • Mix brewed peppermint tea with remaining ingredients in a fine-mist spray bottle. Shake well to combine.
  • Sweep or vacuum the floor.
  • Spray cleaner on the floor (or other surface to be cleaned).
  • Wipe up with a microfiber cloth. 

Notes:
  • As with all cleaners you use, please be sure to do a spot test to see if this will work on your floors.
  • Try to shake the mixture a few times as you go so that the essential oils continue to stay blended. 
  • You can also try loading this mixture into your Swiffer mop (see a tutorial on how to refill the cartridges here), or use another mop with a refillable cleaner reservoir. This mixture can also be used in a Shark Steam Mop. 
  • Try the mixture on other surfaces too! I’ve used this stuff on countertops, windowsills, windows, and mirrors.
  • This stuff keeps for months so go ahead and make a big batch. I like to make mine when my big vinegar jug gets low enough to just toss the rest of the ingredients in and store it in there.



3 comments:

  1. This is definitely a must-try! Sometimes, it’s best to go natural when cleaning your house, especially if you’re allergic to some chemicals that most commercial cleaners have. Plus, natural cleaners are also pocket-savers. Most of the recipes are all available in your kitchen! Cheers!

    Bo Tolbert @ HJS Supply Co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This works great, I love it! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love the look of a well-polished home? I for one love to clean, and I love maximizing the experience with the use of homemade cleaners too. Of course, I can never seem to get the same results as your floors look in the photos. Anyway, I'll try your recipe out and let you know how it goes, Jen. Thanks for sharing and all the best to you! :)

    Courtney Morris @ Onyx Cleaning

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)