Friday, October 18, 2013

Upcycled Sweater Slipper Boots












































It's getting chilly, ladies and gents! I'm a huge slipper person, so when Buzzfeed blogger Pippa Armbrester contacted me with the challenge of coming up with an upcycled slipper DIY, I was so in! This DIY project will show you how to create your own cute and cozy slipper boots from an old sweater - and it couldn't be easier. You don't even need a sewing machine! I think these would make excellent Christmas presents for basically anyone on your list. Here's how you do it:

1. Collect your supplies. You’ll need scissors, pins, yarn, a large darning needle, and an old sweater (try to find something with a tight enough weave that it won’t begin to unravel when you cut it - felted wool works great for this)



2. Trace your foot. Make a rough outline of your foot on a piece of paper or cardstock. Give yourself about 1.5cm of extra space around the edge for comfy slippers and easy sewing. Cut out your shape, and repeat for the other foot.



3. Cut the sole pieces. Place each cutout on the body-area of the sweater, and cut around them to create two sole pieces. It is best if you use double-sided tape to keep the paper from slipping around while you are cutting!



4. Check the boot length. Stick your foot into the sleeve of the sweater through the opening at the wrist. Pull the fabric around your leg to the desired boot length.



5. Snip around your foot. Very carefully, cut the fabric of the sleeve away from the sole of your foot. You are trying to make it so that just the bottom of your foot is exposed. Now you have your leg piece!



6. Pin it together. Connect the sole piece to the leg piece with large pins. Start with one pin at the toe of your bootie, and one pin at the heel. Then stretch the fabric as necessary to line the two pieces up and pin them together.



7. Blanket stitch. With the pins in place, blanket stitch the sole piece and the leg piece together. To do a blanket stitch, (1) push your needle through both layers of fabric from the top (2) pull the yarn through until only a small loop remains (3) bring your needle back down through the loop (4) pull the yarn tight. You can also add a blanket stitch around the opening of your boot to make it look extra polished!




8. Try it on! Pull on your new upcycled sweater slipper-boots, and get cozy!


39 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I want to make some! :) ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this is such a swell idea. I should make some for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. use sand paper instead of card stock...with the rough side down, it won't dare move. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever! I'd never have thought to use sandpaper, but I bet it would work really well!

      Delete
    2. I am going to do this for sure

      Delete
    3. You can also use Reynolds Freezer paper - quilters use it - iron it onto the jumper. Voila. It won't slide either... it's then easier for kids to make them too.

      Delete
  4. Your sew crafty. These are really cute an easy. Thanks for sharing, im going to make me a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are they not unraveling when you cut them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,
      The weave of the sweater I used was tight enough to stay together even when the edges were cut. Felted wool works great for this. However, if you want to use a sweater with a looser weave, just run a stitch over your cut edges with a sewing machine prior to blanket stitching your pieces together to keep things from unravelling.

      Delete
  6. You are very talented :).
    How about making mittens, scarf
    and a nice little hat from the rest of the sweater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent idea! I still have lots of the sweater left, so I think I might try some of those out. Thanks :)

      Delete
  7. Love them! I totally want a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to happen. I can't get enough! SO STINKING CUTE! I just love me some sweaters and socks, so sweater socks are right up there with chai lattes and espresso: SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is wow! And my cold feet thank you and my old sweaters have a new purpose

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can also double the sole pieces for extra comfort (and stitch them together so that they don't move around)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! You could even add a bit of leather to the bottom, or some other non-slip material to make them sturdier. So many possibilities!

      Delete
  11. On the bottom of the sole put a couple of lines of glue, with your glue gun, prevents slipping when you are wearing them, especially for younger children. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yesterday I put, "make a pair of slippers" on my to-do list and today I came across these. Perect! Thanks so much for sharing such a great how-to! I'll also be linking in Tuesday's Daily DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found these on pinterest.... and I made THREE PAIRS this morning!!!! So easy and so cute omg. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this pattern. It is awesome just the way it is. I thought of some cool ideas to imbellish them. You could use a favorite team mascot, logo, children's characters, etc. You would have to do a little extra sewing on them but it would be cute. Also to add to the snuggly affect, you might could use fleece to line the bottom of the boot and just sew the two bottom layers together before sewing the boot part on. Also if you made several out of different sweaters, you could use strips of the sweaters for a different look. It would make it a little more involved but it would be a way to use scrap material and not waste it.

    Also a quick question, could you use a sweatshirt instead of a sweater? Especially the kind without the wrist bands. Just a thought. My mind is going ninety to nothing with this project. I can foresee a lot of inexpensive yet purposeful Christmas gifts with this one.
    Again thanks so much for this!! I am a momma on a very tight budget this year and already have super ideas with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All excellent ideas! There's so many ways to make this project your own :)

      You could definitely use a sweatshirt, even with the wrist band on the bottom as long as it still fits over your calf. If it's too tight you can just trim that bit off and finish the edge. I bet they'd look really cute!

      Jen

      Delete
  15. i'm so excited about this idea..brilliant. Now I will have a use for all those cashmere-yet-ugly sweaters I find at thrift stores! yes! this will be on everybody's gift list this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great re-cyling idea. Obviously hand wash? Or use fabric glue to seal the edges of the soles and top edge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either one would work! You could also run a quick stitch around the edges with a sewing machine prior to blanket stitching, which would make them sturdier.

      Delete
  17. Love this! I have a ton of sweaters that I don't have the heart to toss, but are too worn for the wardrobe. This is the perfect idea to recycle. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this awesome idea!! I'm going to make myself some slippers this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a fabulous idea, I am pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this! On my list for Christmas presents this year! Just found your blog via pinterest, and I think I pinned half your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This are so cute and I shared them with my readers ♥ http://felting.craftgossip.com/2014/01/24/up-cycled-sweater-slipper-boots-tutorial/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thats a superb idea....just wonder why didnt i think of it before...anyways full marks to u and thanx for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  23. http://www.arreboditcomunapantigana.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/sgoc-dia-6-reconversio-de-jersei-en.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are so cute and SO easy! I'd love to make them as gifts for Christmas. This kind of simple sewing I can do. These could even fit inside other boots, to get the legwarmer look.

    Jenn | http://www.capitalcityshoes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! I am definitely making these... just wondering what kind of needle you are using??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The needle I used is a Darning Needle, which is just a big, dull needle with a large eye so that thicker materials like yarn can fit through the opening. Happy crafting!

      Delete
    2. thanks so much!

      Delete
  26. I have made them from aln old fleecesweater

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)