Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Strawberry Freezer Jam



It’s strawberry season!!!

Around this time every year, my mom and I make a massive batch of strawberry freezer jam, so I’m going to share the recipe with you! If you’ve never tried freezer jam, you are truly missing out. Even people who hate jam fall in love with it. Instead of the gloopy, over-sugared, processed tasting junk you get from the store, freezer jam retains the flavor of freshly picked fruit. It’s essentially like spreading mashed up, beautifully ripe strawberries on your toast… and that heavenly taste of summer sweetness will be extra special during the long, cold winter months!




We picked our berries locally, and they were so beautiful! Shiny and glossy on the outside, and a lovely deep red all the way through the inside.  Definitely beats the white and watery ones you get from Costco... However, if you’re not lucky enough to have a berry patch nearby, store-bought ones will be fine this time of year.



We picked about 25 pounds of berries and got around 50 jars of jam out of it… 50 jars of jam for 50 bucks!? Jam will cost you about $5 at the store, so by making our own jam we are saving close to $200!



The Recipe: Strawberry Freezer Jam

Ingredients:

·      4 cups crushed strawberries (just mash them with a potato masher until it looks the way you want it)
·      3 ¼ cups granulated sugar
·      1 box CERTO Light Pectin Crystals

Directions:

Place the crushed strawberries into a large mixing bowl.
Add the CERTO and ¼ cup of the sugar
Let stand for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
After 30 minutes, add the rest of the sugar and stir for 3 minutes
Put into clean containers filling up to ¼ inch from the rim. Cover with plastic screw-on canning lids. Leave at room temperature for 24 hours until set.

Store your jam in the fridge for up to 3 weeks, or in the freezer for up to a year!



ENJOY

14 comments:

  1. Really like that last photo! Just by looking at it you can see how yummy the jam is....

    ReplyDelete
  2. strawberry jam is my favourite one!!!I ll try it!thans for sharing!!!

    mysteryfishbowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Strawberry Jam! ♡

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love nothing more than strawberry picking!! My fiance and I are planning on having jam as favours at our wedding soon so I may just have to hold onto this post! Lovely pictured by the way, so sweet and summery =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy,yummy...thank you for sharing :-))
    xoxo

    http://invitationtoinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! and you got to fresh pick them? these photos make me jealous - i want to fresh pick strawberries! and the jam sounds so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo yum strawberries are my favorite!! thanks for the sweet comment on my blog!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I wish it was summer in Australia so I could go outside and pick some strawberries from the garden! I also wish we had berry farms like you guys! Looks like so much fun :) Great blog! I'll be coming back! Rhi xx

    The Wildest of Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always have such good recipes and DIYs! This jam looks so yummy, I want to try it, especially since you said it's not as sweet as the store-bought kinds (I can't stand them, too sweet for me haha). I've been strawberry picking before too, it's so much fun :)

    Love having gorgeous nails? Enter my International Butter London Giveaway!

    www.iwastakenbysurprise.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! Can't wait to try it. Your blog is super cute! I am proudly following you on Bloglovin'.
    xoxo
    Gracie B

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day.
    http://www.bebetwixxt.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gahh Jen this looks so amazing! :) hahah I love that we did a strawberry post around the same time! :) looove your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks so fantastic! seriously loving your blog!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I am gonna try this out asap. My mom is completely incapable of jamming, she's tried and failed more times than I can count, so I will probably attempt this on my own. haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)