Salt Dough Earrings


DIY: Salt Dough L.O.V.E Earrings

For all you girls out there who don’t know a thing about metalworking (myself included), here is a tutorial that lets you make quick, cheap, and easy faux-metal jewelry! The salt dough that I used hardened up so nicely, and the metallic spray paint made them look like honest-to-goodness stamped metal. I can’t wait to experiment more with this stuff, but in the meantime, here’s a look at the teeny-tiny L.O.V.E earrings that I decided to make first.



Salt Dough Recipe:
-       ½ cup flour
-       ¼ cup salt
-       approximately ¼ cup water

Directions:
1.    Combine the salt and flour
2.    Add water slowly until the mixture reaches the consistency of playdough (I added about ¼ cup)
3.    Knead the dough till smooth
4.    Create your lovely shapes on a baking pan lined with parchment paper – use a toothpick, rubber stamps, or other small tools to make designs or letters
5.    Bake at 250F for 2 hours
6.    Cool and paint!



Tips:
-       The dough will puff up very slightly with baking, so if you want a very thin shape make it a weensy bit thinner than your ideal finished product
-       Dip your shaping tool in water to help it slide through the dough without crumbling
-       Moisturize your hands after working with the dough… the salt will suck all the moisture out of your skin!



Try it out and let me know what you come up with!



Comments

  1. Thanks so much for commenting on my blog =))
    I'm following you back=)

    keep in touch ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I cannot wait to get a hold of this project. Think you started your own jewelry line right there.. dough earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great DIY :) keep posting more of these!

    xo
    - J
    http://www.jessglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Keep coming up with great ideas! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is literally great! waiting for more DIY ideas! thanks for stopping by & leaving a comment xx

    www.always-glamour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty!

    I would love for you to link this at my Flaunt It Friday link party. Also, make sure you join my new blog, Blissful Bucket List! :)

    Sarah@
    www.blissfulbucketlist.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute blog. You ade them? That is so creative.
    Following you now. Follow me if you like my blog..

    www.wardrobemenu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a great idea! I always find it hard to find earrings I like because I like more cute and quirky ones like these, so thank you for such a great tutorial!!

    www.iwastakenbysurprise.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for posting this. This is going to be a great activity for me and my girls to do at their next sleepover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing! What a fun project! I can't wait to try it. I love the idea of having one word on both ears, and splitting up the letters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are really cute, your blog is great :)

    Brooke x

    talkingtrashwatsingtime.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really cute! What type of adhesive did you happen to use? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superglue! I've also used a glue gun for these and it worked well also :)

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did you paint the letters? Love them, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katie! I didn't pait the letters, just carved them into the wet dough, and then spray painted the whole thing the same colour. They appear much darker than the rest because of the indentation :)

      Delete
  16. What earring posts did you use? Did you use small earrings and put the dough over them, or do you buy some earring posts?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting blog, looking forward to more wonderful! Swarovski store

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)

Popular Posts